Huevos Rancheros With Guacamole
Part of our easy brunch recipes we have come across this wonderfully satisfying brunch meal. It comes together in no time at all, leaving you with plenty of time to potter around, read the papers, and relax. The fiery rich red sauce with the cool and creamy mashed avocado is a delicious combo.
| Ingredients |
• 4 large handfuls of spinach, roughly chopped
• 4 eggs
• 1 large handful of fresh coriander, leave and stalks roughly chopped
• 1 small handful of grated mature Cheddar
• 1 large onion, diced
• 1 tablespoon of ghee or coconut oil
• 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
• 2 red peppers, halved lengthways, deseeded and sliced into stripes
• 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
• a pinch of cayenne pepper or finely diced red chilli, to acquired taste
• 2 x 400g tin of tomatoes or 800g fresh tomatoes
• 200ml water (100ml if using fresh tomatoes)
• Sea salt and black pepper
• 1 large ripe avocado
• 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
• the juice of half / 1 lime
• 2 spring onions or 1 small handful of fresh chives, chopped
• 1 handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
| Instructions |
• First make the tomato sauce. Fry the onions in the ghee or coconut oil over a medium heat for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
• Add the garlic, pepper and all the spices to the pan and cook for another 2 minutes.
• Add the tomatoes and water, season generously with salt and pepper, then stir everything together and leaves to simmer for 10 minutes until reduced to a thick, rich sauce.
• Meanwhile, make the guacamole. Halve and stone the avocado, then scoop out the fresh and roughly chop. Place in a bowl and stir in all the remaining ingredients and seasoning. Set aside.
• Check the seasoning of the tomato sauce, adding extra salt, pepper, and cayenne / chilli as needed, then stir through the spinach and cook for a few minutes until just wilted.
• Use a spatula or a spoon to make four wells in the tomato sauce mixture and crack an egg into each. The eggs will poach in the sauce and cook in about 4 minutes (lid on) for set whites and runny yolks.
• Scatter over the coriander and cheese. Serve immediately (as the eggs will keep cooking) with big heaped spoonful of guac on top.