Sweet Potato Falafels
This recipe offers a sweet spin on a traditional falafel all.
These falafel balls will be packed with vitamin, rich in iron and protein.
The falafels come out of the oven warm and steamy, moist and tender on the inside, with a nutty savory accent and slightly crispy on the outside.
Pour on rich, creamy pumpkin seed chimichurri sauce too. Serve everything in toasted warm pita pockets or over top greens or grains for a falafel salad or grain bowl.
We found this recipe easy to follow and pretty fool-proof.
|| Ingredients ||
| Sweet Potato Falafels |
• 1 + 1/4 cups mashed sweet potato (boiled or baked)
• 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
• 1 + 1/2 cup ground pumpkin seeds (raw)
• 1 Tbsp maple syrup
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 2 tsp warming spices (we used mixture of smoked paprika, cumin, chilli powder and turmeric)
• 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
| Chimichurri Sauce |
• 1/4 cup lemon juice
• 1/4 cup extra virgin oil
• 1 cup flat leaf parsley, tightly packed
• 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (raw)
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1/4 tsp red chilli flakes
• 1/4 tsp lemon zest
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/4 - 1/2 cup water (depending on desired consistency + boldness of sauce)
• Additional: extra virgin olive oil for coating falafel (optional)
|| Instructions ||
(1) Preheat oven to 415 degrees. Line baking sheet with non-stick liner or grease with olive oil.
(2) In a large mixing bowl, mash all the falafel ingredients together until well combined.
(3) Form the falafel mixture into balls and place on baking sheet. If desired, you can roll the entire ball in oil or/ simply brush the top with oil.
(4) Bake falafel balls at 415 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are brown.
Optional: for crispier falafel - saute in oil in a skillet, over high heat on the stovetop.
(5) For the sauce: blend all the ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy. (Start off with 1/4 cup water and add more for a thinner consistency, mellow flavour).
(6) Serving suggestions: Use falafels to fill pita pockets, along with hummus, mayonnaise, chopped greens and the chimichurri sauce. Sriracha optional. Pickled veggies or sauerkraut would be a nice addition. Or/ serve over the top of salad or grain bowl.
Store leftover falafels in the fridge or reheat in microwave, over or in a skillet on the stove.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 45 mins